What is the Application Procedure for requesting information?
- Apply in writing or through electronic means in English or Hindi or in the official language of the area, to the PIO, specifying the particulars of the information sought for.
- Reason for seeking information are not required to be given
- Pay fees as may be prescribed (if not belonging to the below poverty line category).
What is the time limit to get the information?
- 30 days from the date of application
- 48 hours for information concerning the life and liberty of a person
- 5 days shall be added to the above response time, in case the application for information is given to Assistant Public Information Officer.
- If the interests of a third party are involved then time limit will be 40 days (maximum period + time given to the party to make representation).
- Failure to provide information within the specified period is a deemed refusal.
What is the fee?
- Application fees to be prescribed which must be reasonable.
- If further fees are required, then the same must be intimated in writing with calculation details of how the figure was arrived at;
- Applicant can seek review of the decision on fees charged by the PIO by applying to the appropriate Appellate Authority;
- No fees will be charged from people living below the poverty line
- Applicant must be provided information free of cost if the PIO fails to comply with the prescribed time limit.
- The fee can be deposited with cashier of NISCAIR, the receipt of the same can be handed over to PIO/APIO. In case of Cheque/Demand Draft the same can be handed over to PIO/APIO directly.
What could be the ground for rejection?
- If it is covered by exemption from disclosure. (S.8)
- If it infringes copyright of any person other than the State. (S.9)